Wednesday, May 7, 2008

no big news...

But there is a little update. Not necessarily good, time will tell.

We got an update from our agency, I think it was last week, regarding referrals and such things. Here it is: In Ethiopia the courts close for several weeks in the months of August and September due to the rainy season. Because of that, our agency is expecting that referrals given out during the month of May will likely make it through court before the closure. Referrals given out June 1 and later are not expected to make it through court before closure.

So, in a nutshell, if we get our referral in the next 24 days we will LIKELY be traveling late summer/early fall to get our child. Of course, it could happen that we would get a referral and we would not make it through court (for whatever reason). If that happened we would have to wait until courts re-open in September in order for the child to legally become ours, which would put us traveling late 2008. I like the former option better. But I'm trying to mentally prepare for the latter. (I think that bugs Aaron, ha!)

I've heard pre-adoptive parents say "It feels like this will never happen" and I never knew what they meant. Well, I do now. It seriously feels like it will NEVER happen! I know that it will, and that God has His own timing to things, and that His timing is perfect. He is never early and never late. If only I could line up more with Him on this one, it would make things a bit easier. I guess now is a good time to focus on 2 Corinthians 4:17-18..."For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us a glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." Oh to constantly have an eternal perspective on life...it sure puts things in the right perspective.

Later!

2 comments:

Libby Design said...

Gosh, Katie...this is putting a MAJOR kink in my garage sale planning! I need to know if you'll be getting a girl or a boy so I can set aside all my cute clothes rather than selling them to a stranger!!! :) Just kidding.

I'm sure you're feeling like this will never happen, but it WILL!! In God's time everything will come together. We'll continue to pray that He gives you peace and strength as you wait. Looking forward to hanging out with you guys and Grandma Grace this weekend!! Mom says there's going to be a DORA ice cream cake for us to enjoy, too. Woohoo!!!

The Rudstroms said...

Hang in there. We felt like the adoption would never be completed, but at last, we've had Harold now for 6 months. I was encouraged by reminding myself that if the referral would have come at any other time, we would have had a different child. Harold is the perfect fit for our family. Now I'm thankful our process didn't go any fast or any slower. --AnnMarie