Thursday, May 29, 2008

photography

I just updated our "adoption timeline" thingee to the right...sometimes I still can't believe that the word "referral" is over there! It seems like we waited so long for that one phone call....and the word "referral" was replaced with "a little girl" which has now been replaced with "Matea." It still seems kind of surreal.

Anyway.

Over the last five weeks I took a community ed photography class with a friend of mine. I really learned a LOT about how to use my camera. The best part was learning how to take pictures of flowing water and give it that creamy effect. For our last class we went on an outing to Lester Park and practiced some techniques and settings. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from our outing.
I definitely have a LOT more to learn...I can think of some ways to adjust my camera settings to make some of these pictures better. Now I'm keeping my eyes open for a tripod so I can continue to practice! I really have no idea how people become great photographers before digital. I can hit a button on my computer and it tells me exactly every single setting for every single picture. It makes it easy to look back and see what worked and what didn't. Did they write down all the settings that they used? No thank you! So yeah, hopefully I can continue to practice and learn how to use my camera. Now the question is - how good will I be able to get at taking pictures of a certain little girl?

2 comments:

Thompson's said...

Those pictures are way cool- you'll have to teach me a thing or two! You have some time to practice before Matea comes home...you can use Kylie if you need:-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures, Katie, and you are really capturing the way the water works over the rocks. That is something I want to learn with my watercolor painting. Keep them coming!
Love, Grandma Lynn