Monday, September 13, 2010

Chipmunks & Salt Water Taffy

Posted by Aaron:

Did you know that chipmunks like salt water taffy?  It's true.  At least they like to try it - I don't know if they're connoisseurs of fine salt water taffy or not.  You might wonder how I know this.  I know some of you who know me think it's just one of the many useless trivia items I might know.  Well the truth is, it's not.

We have a semi-domesticated chipmunk that hangs around our place. We've had a few run-ins with it, but none that notable.  It usually just gives us a nervous look as it runs across the deck (especially when Page is out).  We saw it a few times today while going in and out and Matea asked if she could "go chase it."  Go ahead I told her... anyhow...Matea was playing outside while I did some work in the garage. I had the door open to let some fresh air in and keep an ear out for Matea.  When it was time for dinner I went to go in and Matea was near the door.  She said "the chipmunk went in there."  I said where?  And she pointed under this cart that's right inside the door.  I looked and nothing.  She's at this age where she's starting to do more and more imaginary play that spills into her reality, so while I didn't completely write her statement off, I figured chances were she was playing.  Fast forward three hours.  Matea's in bed, I run out to the garage (my office) to do a couple things.  It's dark except for the computer screen and I heard a little noise that I didn't pay much attention to, then more noise.  AHHHH!!!!  THE CHIPMUNK'S IN MY OFFICE AND SCURRYING OVER MY SANDEL-CLAD FEET!! Not to sound like a complete baby, but it did freak me out for a few seconds.  I spent a good chunk of time trying to scare it out, but can't tell if it's still here or if it ran out the door I left open when I went in the house to get some closed-toe shoes.

Dirty little bugger left some "droppings" as Bear Grylls may call them on my window ledge and worst of all he ate at least two of my salt-water taffy's.  And as if to taunt me he left the shredded wrappers right in the middle of my desk.  Argh - I'll get you little chipmunk....I'LL GET YOU!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!!! How lucky you are to have such a cute little fellow visiting you!!!
Grandma Lynn

Libby Design said...

BLAST YOU, CHIPMUNK!!! I anxiously await your next post about how the chipmunk is no more...and I hope you use those shredded taffy wrappers as a shroud to cover his pathetically pesky little body. :)

Aaron Bradley said...

That is awesome. We had a chipmunk climb into our dryer vent and try to set up camp there. I had to chase it around my basement to get it out. I think they have poor eyesight. The one we had knew I was trying to catch it, but it didn't seem to understand where I was and kept running towards me, which made me scream like a wee lass.

Anonymous said...

You know what to do with the tail...
Nate

Unknown said...

As a person who appreciates all living things....step on it!

Thompson's said...

Kinda like the Duluth SWAT team member who left a pile of Tootsie Roll wrappers under our tree after a stakeout.

Very funny story- next time, listen to the girl!