Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Update!

Here's another email from Katie...

Quick update….we had Matea with us last night – we put her to bed at 8:30 and had to wake her up at 7:00. Today has been pretty good – she is not taking a bottle very well but will eat cereal very easily. As soon as we get home we’ll start feeding her more than cereal, but for now that is basically all she’s getting. We’ve gotten her to take about 10oz total from a bottle over the last 2 days. We thought about trying a sippy cup, but she’s been generally happy so I figure we’ll deal with that when we get home. Really, our goal now is to keep her happy until we get home and get back on MN time and then get her on a schedule, which doesn’t appear like it will be too difficult. She doesn’t like to be held for more than 20 minutes or so at a time, so the plane ride could be really interesting – that is a prayer request! She will let us hold her when she sleeps. She also sleeps fine in the baby bjorn and on the floor, so we’re happy about that. She’s a really good sleeper. We didn’t get our hairbraiding class today which was kind of annoying, but, whatever.
Aaron went to go confirm our flight today at the Hilton hotel and while he was gone Matea had a SCREAMING FIT for about 45 minutes. It was horrible. She woke up from her 2 hour nap at about noon and I figured I’d change her diaper and feed her. While I was changing her diaper she started crying and I figured it was because she was hungry. I made a bottle and cereal and she wouldn’t have anything to do with either one of them. Her mouth was clamped shut – except for the SCREAMS. I couldn’t do a thing for her, I have no idea what she needed or wanted. Maybe she just needed to cry….? She finally wore herself out and fell asleep. I was so frustrated. Corrie, our social worker, is here and she tried to help me calm Matea down but Matea would have nothing to do with either one of us. Oh well, I’m glad it wasn’t just me. Besides those 45 minutes it’s been a pretty good day. You can also pray that doesn’t happen on the plane.
We can’t wait to take normal showers when we get home. I need to pluck my eyebrows really bad. I also really want a big salad and some grapes and fruit juice. Just so you know.
Aaron is perfectly well now, and I haven’t gotten sick at all!

4 comments:

jodi said...

Isn't the internet wonderful?!? How exciting to stay connected halfway around the world. Thanks Katie, Aaron and Jen!

Thompson's said...

This is crazy to be getting all these updates while you're gone! But it's good to know specific prayer requests. We can't wait to meet you guys in exactly 48 hours!!!

Becky said...

I agree about how wonderful the Internet is to be receiving news from you in such a timely manner! It will be so wonderful when you are all home safe and sound. We are praying for a smooth flight home.

Kate said...

I love hearing about your daughter, and your first experiences as a parent. I will pray the travel goes well!