Monday, February 9, 2009

Spain - the 51st state?

posted by Aaron:

So today I had a customer from Spain contact me and ask where a his package was that he should have received by now. "A quick call to the USPS should get the ball rolling" I thought.

I called the USPS 800 number managed to navigate their efficient automated system and was speaking to a person in a mere TEN minutes:

Auto-Attendant: "Please say yes or no." (to a question that is not yes or no)
Me: "Customer service"
Auto-Attendant: "I'm sorry, I can't tell what you're saying"
Me: "Representative"
Auto-Attendant: "I'm sorry, I can't tell what you're saying"
Me: "CUST-O-MER SER-VIIIICE"

I don't remember how I got through that, but finally did and was speaking to a person.

USPS Agent: "Hello sir, may I have your tracking number please."
Me: "123456789"
USPS Agent: "Ok sir, I'm showing that your package left Duluth on January 19th for SPAIN and no further information is available at this time."
Me: "Yes, I'm aware of that - I looked that up on your website. I'd like to start a claim on this since it was shipped Express and should have been delivered by now."
USPS Agent: "Ok. Is this an INTERNATIONAL shipment?"

I should have just hung up there.

Me: "Yes."
USPS Agent: "Ok."
awkward and lengthy silence....
USPS Agent: "Sir, I'm sorry, but I can't process this claim right now. Our systems are down. You'll have to call back later to process this."
Me: "I have an idea. How about I give you my phone number and YOU call ME back when your system is back up?"
USPS Agent: "I'm sorry, but we don't make any call backs."

President Obama, since we're giving away money I make a recommendation to throw a few million at the USPS for geography lessons and a new "system."

5 comments:

jodi said...

Aaron, that is hilarious. Yes you should have hung up. I do it all the time at work.....it's just that it takes so long start all over.....I feel your pain.

Libby Design said...

Great reminder that there are a LOT of unintelligent people in the world. Glad we're all so dang smart!! :D Hope you're able to sort through this mess.

Bethersw said...

Wow! That stinks. In fact, I was going to try and track down a package today that I should have already received from Australia. Now I know what I have to look forward too!

Grandma Lynn said...

Oh for the days of yore when a real person with some intelligence and heart answered the phones! When did that end? Ha!

Sha Zam- said...

ok.. this is a hysterical post.

but I wanted to say, that I'd lost your blog. I used to read it all the time and I had it bookmarked, but... ooops. anyway. I'm glad I found it again. Keep writing. I love your posts. Especially these funny ones.