As of yesterday we have officially been waiting 2 months. I was going to write a post explaining how we came to the decision to adopt, since I haven't done that yet (although most of you who read this probably know the story!), but then last night happened, and I thought it was funny and worth sharing. So instead of writing about our baby (in a sense), I'm writing about our dog.
I'll try to make this story as brief as I can...we'll see what happens!
Last night I came home from a baby shower for a friend and was completely exhausted and had a headache, so I took some Tylenol PM and Aaron and I went directly to bed, I was looking forward to SLEEPING. Aaron had mentioned to me earlier that Page had spent most of the day in his office with him, and she was even sleeping underneath his desk by his feet. She spent the rest of the day following us around when Aaron wasn't at his desk - it was strange. She is a timid dog, so we just brushed it off as her being 'needy' or maybe she got spooked by the cat.
ANYWAY, so we're in bed and all of a sudden I hear a high pitched "beep" and Page comes running into our room. Aaron didn't hear it, so I wrote it off as a random noise outside. A few minutes later I heard the "beep" again this time Page totally freaked out and tried to jump up on the bed. I calmed her down - she was shaking - and listened for the noise again. A few minutes later I heard it AGAIN, the dog freaked AGAIN, and I figured it was a smoke detector or the carbon monoxide detector.
Strangely, the noise seemed to be coming from far away, and both the detectors are in the hall outside our room. So I started wandering the house, listening for a beep that did not have ANY pattern to it. Sometimes there was one minute between the beeps, sometimes 3-4. After 20 minutes of this I FINALLY found the stinking smoke detector downstairs. (the joys of moving - I didn't even know there was one down there). When I found the stupid thing Page was with me - the detector beeped and that poor dog almost jumped out of her skin.
The conclusion: A couple years ago we used a bark shock collar on her. It would beep and then Page would get a shock. Now, every time she hears a high pitched beep she thinks she is going to get shocked. (There was a commercial on a while back with a heart beat monitor - when that commercial would come on TV she would stick her tail between her legs, start shaking, and try to climb on our laps!) Apparently that smoke detector had been going off all day and she was afraid of getting a shock! We hadn't heard it until everything was quiet.
Today she's back to her normal self. Unannoying, mellow, relaxed Page. So there you have it. If you are ever going to use a shock collar, keep this story in mind. If you are still reading - I hope it was worth it! :)
We Have Pretty Cool Kiddos..
2 weeks ago