Thursday, February 24, 2011

unexpected comment

I had a doctor's appointment today which was pretty uneventful. In an effort to try to jump start any chance of going into labor this weekend we spent some time this evening at the mall doing a little bit of shopping and A LOT of walking.

On our way out to the car we were stopped by an african american man who was outside. The abbreviated version of our conversation went a little bit like this:
"Is she your daughter?"
"Yes, she is."
"Well CONGRATULATIONS! I am from Mississippi and you just don't see multi-ethnic families down there. It is so wonderful to see the love you have for each other. Thank you!"
"Well thank YOU for saying that to us! It really means a lot coming from you."

I had a couple thoughts as we got into the car....
First, I am proud of our family, but I often wonder what other black people think when they see us. It was really cool to have someone go out of their way to comment positively on our family.
Second, I always say that I want to be more encouraging to people and I rarely seem to do that. When I have exceptional service at a store or restaurant I always say, "I should write the manager" but never do....I too often just keep my mouth shut. Being "complimented" (for lack of a better word) by this total stranger really made my night - how often can I do that for others just by being NICE? Really, it isn't that hard. I just need to step up and do it.

So, those are my random thoughts on the night. It was a good night. And, I guess that's all I've got!

2 comments:

Thompson's said...

Cool story- thanks for sharing.

Libby Design said...

Thanks for sharing your experience - I'm proud of your family, too! :) And I agree that often people just don't take the time to be "nice" and to let others know they appreciate them. Great reminder for all of us!